Your dog deserves the very best; especially when it comes to their health and well-being. Pet products containing cannabidiol or CBD are becoming increasingly popular among CBD enthusiasts who are searching for a natural, safe and effective way to treat common issues and ailments.
Whether your dog has pain or inflammation from playing outside all day, is dealing with stress from deciding if something is a threat, or just needs to relax at the end of a hard day; dog owners are coming to realize the wide range of benefits CBD oil can have for man’s best friend.
However, too many people don’t fully understand how to properly use these products and how to choose the right one for their K9; which can result in worsening their condition and putting them at risk. Fortunately, this guide has everything you need to know to help keep your dog happy and healthy.
Here’s what you can expect to learn:
What Is CBD & How Does It Affect Pets?
CBD refers to a one of at least 113 cannabinoids found within the hemp plant, a cannabis sativa strain containing THC levels that are undetectable or below 0.3% THC. Because many CBD products are derived from hemp, they do not feature THC or tetrahydrocannabinol; the compound commonly associated with marijuana that contains psychoactive properties and induces a ‘high’ feeling. This lack of THC is especially important when it comes to shopping for CBD for pets.
Although, there is no formal research that documents CBD‘s scientific effects on dogs, scientists do know that CBD interacts with a dog’s endocannabinoid receptors, in a similar fashion as it does for humans. These receptors are in the peripheral nervous systems and maintain balance to keep the body in a normal healthy state.
The Benefits of Using CBD Oil for Dogs
Researchers and dog owners report that CBD can offer a number benefits to maintaining the overall health and longevity of pets. Not only does CBD oil relieve pain, especially neuropathic pain, but it also serves as an effective remedy for controlling seizures.
Since CBD has anti-inflammatory attributes, the oil offers plenty of cardiac benefits as well. Using CBD oil for dogs can help treat nausea, anxiety and may even help them combat the onset of various cancers. Those are just some of the reasons why dog owners turn to CBD oil as a natural remedy to treat some of the most common health conditions among pets.
CBD products can help relieve many health issues, such as joint pain, anxiety, and chronic pain. In many cases, dog owners use CBD oil to induce a sense of restfulness and relieve separation anxiety in their dogs. CBD products such as tinctures and oils are also helpful for improving joint health.
Here are just a few of the major benefits of choosing to use CBD for your dog:
- Improves mental and physical strength
- Helps overcome hyperactivity or nervousness
- Helps with dealing with pain and inflammation
- Helps deal with anxiety and an overworked stress response
- Provides nutrients to aging dogs
- Promotes long-term health
- Relieves joint aches and muscle pain
- Stimulates appetite and helps with digestive issues or nausea
- Helps overcome sleep pattern issues
How to Shop For the Best CBD Products for Your K9
If you or your vet decides to try out CBD oil as a treatment for your dog, it’s important to use reliable and premium-quality products. Avoid buying cheap products from unknown brands because they usually contain impurities and toxins that can harm your dog’s health, leading to other complications. Here are some factors to consider when shopping for CBD for your dog:
- Check the Ingredients: look for a product with organic ingredients and free of harmful chemicals like solvents or pesticides.
- Buy a Premium-Quality Product: Higher quality products usually come at a higher cost. However, the results are worth every penny. Cheaper products can contain additives like heavy metals; that can worsen your dog’s mental or physical condition.
- Always Check the Label: Different CBD products on the market contain different levels of CBD. Don’t buy a CBD product for your dog if the manufacturer does not provide complete and accurate information on the amount of CBD in the product.
Premium CBD products also have a Certificate of Analysis (COA) confirming the product has been tested and offers the top quality your dog deserves. You can also check the COA to make sure that the oil doesn’t contain high levels of THC.
How to Give CBD To Your Dog?…Finding The Right Dosage
Although there are several ways to give CBD to your pet, we believe oils and tinctures are the best forms to use. That’s because dog owners can adjust the dosage drop by drop to see how well their pets react to different dosages. Most products can be placed in your dog’s food or water and administered directly or by hand.
Determining the correct CBD dosage for your dog can depend on several factors, such as your dog’s weight and the condition you want to treat with the oil. Different potencies might also be better suited for different sized breeds. For example smaller breeds might benefit best from our 250 mg CBD Oil, while larger breeds might be better suited for a 500mg bottle or even a classic strength 1000mg CBD Oil. Your vet can help you choose the right strength or potency according to your dog’s size and weight.
Exercising caution is important because you don’t want to harm your dog in any way.
Generally, here is how you can find the right amount of CBD for your dog:
- First, find out how many milligrams of CBD oil you need to use according to your dog’s weight. The general rule for starting out is 1-2mg of CBD per 10lbs of body weight.
- Second, determine how many milligrams of CBD are present in each ml of the oil.
- Check the product label for more instructions or contact your vet to know how you can give your pet the right dose.
Just like human dosing feel free to experiment and find what works best for your dog. Any loose stool is an indication that you may be giving them too much and will need to back it down and allow them time to adjust.
Another thing to remember is it’s important to maintain consistency and regularly use the product you choose every day in order to stimulate your dog’s endocannabinoid receptors and reap the rewards.
While there are different factors that could determine when your dog will start to feel the effects of CBD and it varies depending on the product; most dogs experience effects within an hour. However, give your pet at least three hours for the full effect to take place. Generally, most CBD oils take anywhere from five minutes to 96 hours to alleviate pain or offer relief.
Will CBD Have Any Side Effects For My K9?
As a dog owner, it’s normal to be concerned but you can rest easy knowing that CBD is safe and shouldn’t cause any side effects.
Although there is no scientific data that sheds light on CBD oil‘s potential side effects for dogs, there are many veterinarians that advocate its effectiveness and emphasize that they haven’t seen any observable side effects.
In fact, according to a 2017 World Health Organization report; CBD is generally well tolerated and safe for animals.
We always suggest looking for a trusted source for your CBD and consulting with a veterinarian if you have any questions though.
In certain rare cases, if you are giving your dog an extremely high dosage there is a chance they experience some of the below minor effects. In general though; these effects are mild and usually go away as the CBD is processed through your dog’s system.
Your Dog Might Drink More Than Usual
- Since CBD has the potential to affect saliva production, your dog may be thirstier than usual (a condition also referred to as “dry mouth”).
Your Dog Might Be More Tired Than Usual
- The calming effect of high doses of CBD when used as a remedy for stress or anxiety, can also lead to your dog feeling slightly lethargic or sleepy.
You Might See A Temporary Drop in Blood Pressure
- If you are using very high doses, your pet may experience a temporary and small drop in their blood pressure levels resulting in your dog feeling slightly lightheaded.
Is It Possible For A Dog to Overdose on CBD?
The good news is that overdosing your dog on CBD oil is extremely unlikely. Your dog might just become excessively sleepy if you are administering a high or wrong dosage. Any loose stool may be a sign that you are giving your dog too much and will need to back the dosing down to allow them more time to adjust. Just make sure to consult their vet and monitor your dog’s behavior closely.
Giving Man’s Best Friend The Very Best
As a veteran of the special operations community I know firsthand how important it can be to have your k9 at the top of their game and ready to be by your side in any situation.
At Easy Day Hemp, our CBD products for pets have been approved and used by professional trainers and elite military across the country, so you can rest easy knowing your giving your dog the very best.
Your dog stands by your side through thick and thin, make sure they’re at their best and have what they need with Easy Day.
* The FDA has not evaluated these statements. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases. Please consult your Physician/ Veterinarian before beginning a new treatment plan. Easy Day Hemp‘s Pet lines contain 0% THC and are compliant with the Federal guidelines regarding Industrial Hemp.
Comments will be approved before showing up.